Everyone looks forward to waking up in the morning to enjoy a cup of coffee. Or perhaps take that much needed break away from the desk and sip on a hot cup of Joe before heading back to work. Coffee is a soothing treat after a big meal out with friends. Coffee, whether it's decaf or regular, is enjoyed all over the world.
Coffee is so prevalent in most countries that it would be difficult not to find a Starbucks on the corner or Flavoured Coffee. While not many people actually make coffee, most tend to know that it comes from another country and contains lots of caffeine. But coffee is a very interesting commodity, with a lot of facts that most consumers are unaware of.Here are 5 interesting things you probably didn't know about coffee:
- Coffee is the most popular beverage in the world. Apart from water, coffee is the most sought after beverage and has been consumed in some form for over 1,000 years.
- Coffee is grown all over the world. Coffee is grown in over 50 countries, but the one place it's not grown is on the mainland of the United States. This is due to the climate and growing conditions being unsuitable. Hawaii is the only state in the country that can and does produce coffee.
- Coffee is one of the most heavily traded commodities in the world. Coffee comes second only to oil as the most traded commodity. The reason coffee is so much cheaper is that it can be regenerated over and over again, whereas oil is a precious resource.
- Coffee beans are not really beans. Botanically speaking, coffee beans are actually berries. They grow on trees that take about five years to reach maturity.
- Coffee only affects the body up to a certain point. The coffee fans out there who think having 10 cups a day is what keeps you going is not true. After a certain number of cups have been drunk, typically four depending on the individual, consuming more will provide no further stimulation. Have your four and call it a day.